Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Place of Magic

Strolling outside on a wintry evening, it is always pleasant to pass by a bakery shop window. Outside on the cold street, it seems that you are already inside this wonderfully warm, red brick structure. Watching the baker take the fresh-from-the-oven baguettes out of the large steaming oven, you feel the warm breads on your tongue, tasting the deliciousness of the loaves before you even walk inside. The pastries are good too, but never forget the most lucious and scrumptious of them all. The magnificent meringues are a sight to behold, dazzling, making all other pastries look as lifeless and hard as rocks. The large swirled delicacies melt in your mouth as soon as you take a bite. As large as they are, they disappear in moments, as if in a magic show. A baker's shop is truly a wonderful place of magic.

-This post was written by Bookworm for her creative writing class at our co-op. The assignment was to choose one of six items on a list and write a descriptive paper/paragraph. I teach this class, so maybe you'd be surprised to hear that I was floored when Bookworm read her paper in class. But I was - her mastery of language far surpasses anything that I could have taught her myself. Dare I say that she has a gift with words?

The reality is this homeschooling gig is getting more exciting every day. I see how both girls are learning things that I don't even realize. Their memories are sharp and while one is much more driven to succeed than her sister, they are both rather intelligent.

I'd love feedback on Bookworm's papers. I think it'd be great for her to know how others respond to her writing and learn ways to make it even better. I have a feeling she'll be posting here herself before too long. Stay tuned!


I did not alter her spelling or grammar usage in reproducing her work for the purposes of this blog.
September 29, 2010

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whomever this author is does certainly have a gift with words. I really enjoyed reading the way she draws the audience in by using such descriptive words that appeal to the senses. She is well-versed to the point that I would have difficulty in challenging her in my classroom. Continue to come up with creative writing activities for her to write in response to. I would love to see what she comes up with next!

9/30/2010 06:03:00 PM  
Blogger ViolinMama said...

LOVED reading this!!! Your girls are welcome anytime to present via skype. How wonderful that would be!

That passage is absolutely fabulous! WOW! I can NOT believe it! SO good. I think it is amazing for someone her age. She's ahead of her time. GREAT job mommy for being a part of a incredible process. I can't wait to see where she goes with this....

Post more!

9/30/2010 06:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home