Friday, June 15, 2007

See How Good I Am At This?

Okay, I haven't exactly taken advantage of this place here. I haven't been recording our school adventures as I'd like to.

Truth be told, we had a long winter break, due to Christmas and then moving. In February, though, we got into a groove for about a month and then fizzled again during the spring break season. The weather improved and it became more difficult to stay on track. But, as I type this, Bookworm is at the kitchen island taking an end-of-the-year 2nd grade assessment. After completing the first 3 (of 29) pages, she's testing at least into first grade. haha I'm hoping she'll score at the beginning of third grade so we can be done with school for the summer. I need to regroup and come up with a new plan.

Which, coincidentally, I have. Both girls are enrolled in the Seton Home Study program for next school year. I attended the Immaculate Heart of Mary Homeschool Conference last week and it was confirmed that this is the direction we want our homeschool to head.

Yesterday, I received in the mail the entrance evaluation for Bookworm (Silly Sally is going to be starting Kindergarten). She isn't doing that evaluation until next week, since we really had a goal of doing the end-of-year evaluation this week.

She's doing great, though. She is reading the 7th book in the Chronicles of Narnia series and she has started 2 other series from our last couple trips to the library. I did increase the number of books she can check out to 10 from 5 and I wish I had a photograph of her face when I told her. She's an incredible reader. She has joined the B&N summer reading challenge (I have a feeling she'll max out and turn in 2 sheets in order to earn 2 books). And yesterday, I signed them both up for Maryland's summer reading program through the library.

We are looking forward to vacation next weekend (a whole week! at the beach!) and in anticipation, we checked out a book on one of the islands nearby. I'd like to also get a book on the Wright Brothers and see if we can make a trip to Kitty Hawk during our vacation. I'm starting to feel like we can incorporate school into daily lives in a more fun (and less sit-at-the-table-with-books-and-paper) way. Even Husband thought the extra trip to Kitty Hawk and the island would be a great idea. So, we'll see.

I am planning on writing here more - I'd like to really make this a place where others can see that homeschooling can work even when you have no clue how to do it (that's me!). That the right tools are out there and you can find something that works for you and your family. It's been a fantastic blessing to have my girls learn with me and I am really looking forward to the next school year when we get even better.

Until next time, God Bless you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey holly! its a rainy afternoon, so i decided to see if you had updated here. im glad i checked! i love hearing about your homeschool journey. Seton is one of the curriculums on our short list, i look forward to hearing what you think! glad to hear all is well!
love to you all, beth

8/07/2007 02:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home