Monday, July 18, 2005

Curriculum Search

Okay, now that I've written a little intro, I want to start documenting what I am currently doing to set up our home school.

First, I talked to the first grade teacher at Roni's school in GA. I asked her about curricula and objectives and all that good stuff. She recommended some things and I have settled on a math curriculum: Abeka

I have no idea what else we will be using. I am considering Explode the Code for phonics and reading, but am still open to other suggestions.

We have a pass for the zoo and I am also looking into a program at the local aquarium - these and a membership at a local children's hands-on museum should cover science. (We'll also check out things from the library to go over before and after we study things at the zoo or aquarium.)

I am excited about reading. I was looking at some book lists for first grade and was thrilled to see Amelia Bedelia (sp?), which I loved as a child - and I can't believe that my daughter is at the age that I clearly remember reading this book! Of course, there are many other great books, so I am looking forward to sharing my love of the written word with my child on a more in depth level than we've had thus far. I think I will incorporate history into reading and also into science as much as she is wanting and ready.

Oooh, I just thought of something so cool. I made reservations for Big Daddy to take Roni to a local art museum for a children/family tour and breakfast. Since his degree is in Art History, I figure he could be in charge of things like art (though, I will definitely be the one to do art projects with her, since I am the crafty one).

And we (actually, I will be) will be putting a notice on a bulletin board at our local college to see if we could get a music student to teach her piano for inexpensive. Not to mention, she'll have religious education at church (and ongoing at home), which will be once/week with kids in her grade level. And I was thinking of Brownies/Girl Scouts... I was a Brownie and loved it....

We have plans (hopefully this week), to move the TV that is in the playroom into the closet of that room - still hooked up, maybe without cable (we only have broadcast cable, which is local channels - but we don't get any reception without the cable) though. The girls will be able to occasionally watch a dvd or something, but the room is small and I'd much rather have the space for play and I need some wall space to use for school stuff, so the tv must be moved. I am also interested in figuring out the best way to organize our stuff - the school board here requires me to keep a portfolio they can have access to within a 15 day notice.

Tomorrow, I am going to a curriculum open house thingy. I am hoping I will meet some other elementary homeschoolers in my area and that we can network and maybe form a group for field trips, etc. I think I am also going to purchase our math curriculum at the fair (I have a discount coupon I found online!).

And in an hour or so, I have a phone date with a woman I formerly thought was out of her mind for homeschooling her children (and she thought I was out of my mind for not considering it a possibility). I need to pick her brain and she has quite a bit of experience, since her oldest is now in middle school.

Oh, one other thing: I have been reading a book: The Homeschooling Revolution and it has me thinking this homeschooling setup may not be as temporary as we plan for our family. I wonder if God is calling me to do this long term? I do know he wants us to do it now. And we will continue to pray and discern and evaluate what is best for our children.

I think I've got a good program in mind and I am trying to work it out so it is not an overwhelming schedule for her. I want to keep in mind that she doesn't have to be overscheduled to have a good home education experience. Maybe we should forego Brownies for this first year and just get the hang of it. And maybe she'll decide after 6 months she just doesn't like piano?

But for now? I am excited. I am happy that my husband and I will still be the primary influences on her young mind (maybe that part is not ALWAYS best). I am happy I will know what she is being exposed to educationally and socially. I am happy I can continue to cultivate in her a love of our faith and appreciation for the sacrifice God made for us.

And maybe, just maybe, my little sacrifices will improve the future of my own children. That they will grow up to appreciate life and all it has to offer - and be inspired to give to others the gifts of love and faith that I feel compelled to spread around like little seeds.

In the meantime, please pray for us (and for me, especially), as we embark on this incredible educational and life experience.

Until next time, God Bless You and Your Family.

1 Comments:

Blogger ViolinMama said...

This sounds awesome!!!! Good Luck with all of it!!! Wish I knew of some ways to help. Call me when Roni hits high school - in 3 years LOL!!!

Love you! God Bless!
Becca

7/18/2005 07:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home